Choose an idiom to replace the expression in the brackets:
1. The teacher said that the boy was (her favorite).
(a) polishing the apple (b) a piece of cake
(c) out to lunch (d) the apple of her eye
2. The woman was (very calm) during the job interview.
(a) as cool as a cucumber (b) in the soup
(c) full of beans (d) the cream of the crop
3. "It is not (something that appeals to me) but I will go to the art gallery with you if you want."
(a) my bread and butter (b) my duck soup
(c) my cup of tea (d) my gravy train
4. Our boss told everyone that they could have a holiday next week but he later had to (retract what he had said) and cancel it.
(a) make his mouth water (b) eat his words
(c) polish the apple (d) take it with a grain of salt
5. I explained (briefly) what my friend needed to know but he still was not
(a) in a nutshell (b) out of the frying pan and into the fire
(c) in the soup (d) as cool as a cucumber
6. I worked all summer and was able to (save) a lot of money to go back to
(a) butter up (b) egg on
(c) take with a grain of salt (d) salt away
7. The woman is a very good worker and is definitely (being paid what she
(a) worth her salt (b) souped up
(c) nutty as a fruitcake (d) a hot potato
8. Please do not (tell anyone) about my plans to get married next year.
(a) hit the sauce (b) get egg on your face
(c) spill the beans (d) eat humble pie
9. The clerk is always trying to (flatter) his boss in order to get a raise.
(a) big cheese (b) butter up
(c) bread and butter (d) egg on
10. The toys have been (selling very rapidly) since they were released last month.
(a) up setting the applecart (b) selling like hotcakes
(c) worth their salt (d) half-baked
11. I stopped to (chat) with an old friend on my way to work this morning.
(a) chew the fat (b) eat my words
(c) cut the mustard (d) cry over spilt milk
12. My friend was told that he was not able to (succeed) and could not join the football team again this year.
(a) bring home the bacon (b) eat crow
(c) stew in his own juice (d) cut the mustard
13. Our neighbor has a lot of stress and recently she has begun to (drink heavily).
(a) eat her words (b) have egg on her face
(c) hit the sauce (d) upset the applecart
14. The man went (from something bad to something worse) when he got angry and quit his job.
(a) out of the frying pan and into the fire (b) as cool as a cucumber
(c) to cry over spilt milk (d) for peanuts
15. Passing the exam was (very easy) because I spent a lot of time studying last week.
(a) the cream of the crop (b) out to lunch
(c) in the soup (d) a piece of cake
Answer : 1. D 2. A 3. C 4. B 5. A
6. D 7. A 8. C 9. B 10. B
11. A 12. D 13. C 14. A 15. D